Music is a key part of our curriculum with the aim of encouraging enjoyment and a lifelong love of the arts. Performing and visual arts also play a significant part within our curriculum and how it can impact the local community. Currently our year 5 children are rehearsing for their upcoming performance at the Watford Colosseum. As well as this, KS1 perform during the Christmas period to the rest of the school and parents, whilst KS2 perform Christmas carols at the local church.
Key Stage One
• Use their voices expressively and creatively by singing
songs and speaking chants and rhymes
• Play tuned and untuned instruments musically
• Listen with concentration and understanding to a range
of high-quality live and recorded music
• Experiment with, create, select and combine sounds
using the inter-related dimensions of music.
Key Stage Two
• Play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing
musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
• Improvise and compose music for a range of purposes
using the inter-related dimensions of music
• Listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
• Use and understand staff and other musical notations
• Appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music
drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
• Develop an understanding of the history of music.